I have applied for a position or promotion with the County and have not heard anything about my standing in the recruitment. Can you help me?

Some recruitments may take several weeks to complete. If you have not heard anything within three weeks, you should call the recruiter listed at the bottom of the last page of the job bulletin.

I am disabled and want to work for the county. What can you do for me?

In keeping with the provisions of the Americans With Disabilities Act, the County will explore the possibility of making a reasonable accommodation to your disability throughout the selection process and in the work place. If you believe you need such an accommodation, you should request it from the recruiter responsible for conducting the recruitment or the EEO Access Office.

If I file a complaint with your office, can you assure me of confidentiality?

Normally, the EEO Access Office conducts all investigations in as confidential manner as possible. However, legal procedures may require disclosure of certain information.

How may I pursue a formal complaint if I believe the County did not follow its Recruitment Rules and Policies in a recruitment process?

a.  A copy of the complaint form can be accessed here: Recruitment Complaint Form

I am a County employee. Do I have to use personal time to come to the EEO Access Office to file my complaint?

No, normally you may come in on county time; however, you must make an appointment first, and you must notify your supervisor. An appointment may also be made over a lunch hour or before / after normal work hours.

What does the EEO Access Office do when it investigates my complaint?

Our investigator reviews your complaint form, interviews you, the persons you allege have discriminated against you, and witnesses you have identified. All written documents are reviewed. The information gathered during the investigation is evaluated in light of federal, state and County EEO law to determine if discrimination has occurred.

What happens if the issue I complained about is not illegal but is unfair?

There are employment practices that you feel may be unfair but are not illegal. Unless you have some information to support your belief that you may have been discriminated against in conjunction with one of the legal bases, the EEO Access Office may not be able to substantiate your complaint. However, a representative from the EEO Access Office can discuss your concerns with you and may refer you to other County resources.

What is the difference between harassment and sexual harassment?

Harassment occurs in many forms. In general, it is unwelcomed, unwanted and repeated behavior based upon race, age, national origin, disability or religion which is abusive, humiliating or threatening. Sexual harassment is a form of harassment involving visual, physical and verbal behavior of a sexual nature.

How do I file a complaint?

You may telephone the EEO Access Office at 714-834-7304 to arrange an appointment or you may ask that a complaint form be sent to you.

How do I check on the status of my complaint?

You may telephone the EEO Access Office any time to receive an update.

The EEO Access Office is part of the County. How can it conduct an independent, objective investigation of my complaint?

The office is given autonomy to conduct investigations and report discrimination when found. To do otherwise would not be in the best interest of complainants or the County.