Passport Suspension

Why is my passport suspended?

Federal law requires that a parent with a past due child support obligation of $2,500 or greater shall not be issued a passport. 

How can I remove the hold from my passport?

In California, you must pay off your child support arrears and bring your balance to zero ($0.00) in order for a passport to be issued or renewed. You can make a payment with a:

  • Credit card online
  • Credit card by calling 866.901.3212
  • Money order, cash or credit card by walking into our office

If you have the passport denial letter please have it handy when you call or bring it with you to our office. Our office will fax a release request once your child support balance is paid in full.

Are there any exceptions?


  • Mistaken identity
  • Imminently ill immediate family member
  • Death of an immediate family member

If you have had a death of an immediate family member or have a family member who is imminently ill in another country, your case will be reviewed for temporary (30 day) release without full payment if you take the following steps:

  • Provide a letter from the doctor providing care
  • The letter needs to be translated to English
  • The letter needs to be notarized

Your passport will not be permanently released unless your balance is paid off in its entirety. The temporary release will activate your passport for only 30 days. DCSS will notify you by telephone regarding the results.

If you have any questions, please call 866.901.3212.