License Release

Why are Professional and Driver Licenses Suspended?

Under California law, parents court ordered to pay child support must pay the complete monthly child support obligation on time. If the payment is late or the complete amount is not paid, the Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) can suspend or withhold California drivers and/or professional licenses. When the child support payment is late 30 or more days, DCSS submits the non-custodial parent’s name to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for license suspension.

I received a letter titled, “Notice of Intent to Suspend”, what should I do?

DMV sends a warning letter allowing the parent 150 days to work with DCSS to pay the past due child support. If the child support obligation is not paid within this time, the drivers and/or professional license suspension will take place. Our office can release your license in person and in some circumstances, over the phone.

In order to qualify for an over the phone license release you must meet one of the below criteria:

·        Your employer is sending in partial or full child support payments

·        You are receiving unemployment and part of your benefit is being applied towards your child support obligation

·        You are receiving General Relief benefits

·        You are receiving CalWorks (cash aid assistance)

·        You have a court order for license release

If you do not meet one of the above criteria, please call 866.901.3212 to make an appointment to come into our office or you can walk-in between the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Monday - Friday. 

Note: If a notice of intent to suspend has been sent to you in the past, your license will automatically be suspended when a child support payment is late or not paid in full.

What do I need to bring to your office?

Please be prepared to make a payment for the release of your license. You will need to make a payment to complete your monthly child support obligation plus a good faith payment on the back child support that is owed. Also, if you received a Notice of Intent to Suspend letter bring it with you to our office.

Can my driver’s license be suspended more than once?

Yes, your driver’s license can be resubmitted for suspension after 45 days of no or partial payment. To guarantee that your license will not be suspended please make your child support payment in full each month. If you are unable to pay your monthly obligation due to a change in circumstance, you may request a modification to have your case reviewed for a potential change in your child support court order.