Is a residential care facility the same thing as a "room and board" facility?
No. A residential care facility is a facility licensed by the State of California Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing to provide care and supervision to its residents.

By contrast, a room and board facility provides lodging, and may also provide meals, depending upon the facility's policy and prices. These facilities are not licensed to provide care and supervision to their residents. Residents are expected to manage their medication, transportation, and other needs on their own.

Both types of facilities are privately owned and operated businesses. Facility staff interview applicants for appropriateness and determine admission to their facility.

Adult Mental Health Services does not provide linkage or placement to room and board facilities. However, for a list of room and board facilities in your community, you may contact:

Mental Health Association of Orange County  or call (714) 668-1530

Show all Categories