How can I get child support when the other parent lives in another state?
The most difficult child support cases to pursue are those in which the parent obligated to pay support lives in one state and the custodial parent and child(ren) live in another.
All states, however, are required to pursue all child support enforcement program functions for out-of-state cases in the same way they do for in-state cases. All states must cooperate with each other in these matters. The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) governs interstate child support case processing.
Particularly significant are the provisions of UIFSA which ensure that when more than one state is involved, there is only one valid child support order, and those which permit direct wage withholding to be initiated from the custodial parent's state to the child support payer's employer in another state.
In addition, the Child Support recovery Act of 1992 makes it a federal crime to willfully fail to pay support for a child living in another state. These cases are prosecuted by the United States Attorney's Office.
Show all Categories