When I die, what benefits can my spouse apply for?
If your death is attributable to a Service-connected cause, your surviving spouse may apply for Dependency & Indemnity Compensation (DIC), which is a monthly payment compensating your spouse for your loss. Another potential benefit, the Non-service Connected Disability Pension, is payable if you served during one of the Wartime Periods (such as WWII, Korea, etc.) and your surviving spouse's monthly income falls below a certain amount established by the DVA. A burial benefit may be paid to a surviving spouse if at the time of your death you are in receipt of a Service-connected Disability Compensation Award; or if as the veteran, you were receiving a Non-service-connected Disability Pension, or your death occurs while you are in a VA Medical Facility.
Show all Categories